This article was written in May 2016
We use OMG in our titles a lot, and sometimes we abuse the word, but this time we’re not kidding.
For those of you who don’t know, Kerala is a state in India where a lot of the Malayali people in Malaysia come from (this writer’s grandfather included). Kerala appointed a new Chief Minister in 2016, 72 year old Pinarayi Vijayan. He was elected as Chief Minister after the recent Kerala Legislative Assembly election, winning about 58% of the votes for his seat.
But we’re writing this story not because he has some relatives here or he was once a Malaysian, but rather because of this!!!
HOMG he looks just like Tun M!!
We’re definitely not the only ones who think so. Before writing this, we found that some blogs said the same thing!! Funny right? First we hire Sammo Hung as our new Bank Negara Governor, and now we find out that our former PM is a Chief Minister in India.
But aside from just being a Tun M doppelganger, it seems that they may have more in common than we realise.
So what other similarities do Tun M and this guy have?
Before we get to the similarities, we do need to point out one really big difference between the two: Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan is actually a communist party member, which is very different from Tun M (whom we assume is capitalist because well, Malaysia is capitalist). In short, Communism isn’t about hiding in the jungles and bombing the gomen, but an idealogy of an economic system where instead of individuals owning things, things would be owned by everyone.
But sometimes you also hear the words socialism and Marxism being associated with Communism. Well that’s because Marxists believe that a capitalist society first becomes a socialist society before becoming a communist society. So they’re connected but just slightly different.
But economic systems aside, they actually have quite a number of things in common:
- Both came from poor families. Tun M had to sell goreng pisang when he was younger, while Pinarayi was the son of a poor toddy (palm wine) tapper.
- Pinarayi was born and raised in Kerala. Some have claimed that Mahathir’s ancestors were from Kerala too!
- They both have been kicked out of their party before. (But for different reasons la. Tun M was kicked out for criticising Tunku Abdul Rahman, while Pinarayi for alleged corruption.)
OMG, are there more politician lookalikes out there?!
First Zeti looking like Queen Elizabeth, then our Sammo Hung governor, and now this! But that can’t be all, we’re pretty sure that they are more of doppelgangers of prominent Malaysians. They just haven’t revealed themselves yet.
So how’s about you help us out? If you know of anyone who looks like (or you think looks like) one of our Malaysian leaders, let us know in the comments below!
- OMG BANK NEGARA HAS A NEW GABENOR? BUT CAN WE TRUST HIM?
- OMG MAHATHIR LEFT UMNO!? CHEH….3RD TIME ALREADY LA
- DOES MY DAD REGRET NAMING ME AFTER DR MAHATHIR?